Профессор, д.э.н. Хватова Татьяна Юрьевна
Prof. Dr. Tatiana Khvatova
Peter the Great St. Petersburg Polytechnic University • International Graduate School of Management
- 25 years in academic research and teaching together with 10 years of business experience.
- Experience in securing external research grants and leading international research projects
- Track record of developing and leading new initiatives in both academic and business environments. Currently leading the international activities of the biggest and most internationalized Institute of the University and also international joint doctoral programmes and other collaborative projects with strategic partner universities in Australia, Austria, China, Germany, Finland, the Netherlands, the USA and more.
- Over 80 research articles published in peer-reviewed Russian and foreign journals.
- International experience covers Europe, Asia (Japan), and US. Wide range of management experience including academic management, project management, people management, information systems and organisation development. Particular strengths in innovation, strategy, knowledge management, quantitative methods, linking IT and management.
My research interests and current projects:
- Developing an intelligent digital platform for Big Data processing and weakly structured textual information analysis. The platform can be used for forecasting and managing processes in the financial and real sectors of the economy.
- Managing social networks: Applying the percolation theory methodology and other mathematical approaches to understand individuals’ attitudes and moods. Studying the influence of the connections’ density on clusterization and percolation threshold during information distribution in social networks.
- Studying the influence of social media / Internet on electoral preferences.
- New business models for digital (network) economy.
- Studying behavior of XYZ generations and millenials in social networks in different countries.
- Communicative strategies of scientists in academic social networks: do academic media encourage scientific career (supported by RFBR 17-03-00171, 2017-2019).
- “Sviazi” – personal connections in Russia of yesterday and of today.
- Persuasive communicator (verbal / presentation & written)
- Strong team player
- Speak English, French and basic German, Russian (native)
- Ability to introduce / implement creative ideas and change effectively
- Objective, well-organised and focused
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
2012 — Post-doctoral degree (PhD, Dr. of Science) in Innovation Management, St. Petersburg State University of Economics and Finance, Russia.
Title of the post-doctoral thesis: «The Methodology of Building Adaptive National Innovation System in Interaction with Institutional Environment»
Themes: national innovation systems, economic policies, institutional theory, innovation and knowledge management in social and economic systems
1999 — Ph.D. in Quantitative techniques and Mathematic modeling, St. Petersburg State Polytechnic University, Russia
Title of Ph.D. thesis: «Techniques of Robust Evaluations of Correlations, Outlier Detection and their Programming»
Themes: robust methods of correlation coefficient matrix assessment; applications to panel data collected from industrial enterprises
1997 — Master of Science in Management, St. Petersburg State Polytechnic University, Russian – American Graduate School of Management in cooperation with the School of Management at the University of Texas in Dallas (USA)
Themes: management, strategic management, innovation managemen
1994 — Diploma in Applied Mathematics and Engineering (equivalent of Master of Science), St. Petersburg State Polytechnic University, Faculty of Physics and Mechanics, Department of Applied Mathematics
Themes: mathematics, statistics, econometrics, quantitative techniques
2013 – present Full Professor and Head of International PhD
programmes, Higher School of Management and Business, Peter the Great
St. Petersburg Polytechnic University
Role: teaching Strategic Management, International Business, Systems Approach, Cross-cultural issues of Doing Business, Strategic Analysis, Research Methods, Quantitative Methods to UG and PG students and MBA audience; leading and participating in research projects, applying for external funds, doing research in innovation, knowledge management, national innovation systems; writing articles, books, manuals for students; supervising Master and PhD works; participating in conferences; performing administrative functions; lecturing in Finland, Germany, France, Netherlands (visiting professor at MS and BS programmes)
- published articles in international peer-reviewed journals Scopus/WOS
- developed 6 new courses for Master students in English language
- successfully supervised PhD students
- enhanced guest professorships
- signed a number of agreements with new partner universities.
1999 – 2013 Associate Professor, International Graduate School of Management, St. Petersburg Polytechnic University
a) Teaching: Strategic Management, Systems Approach, Innovation Management, Business, Strategic Analysis, Quantitative Methods, Statistics to undergraduate and postgraduate levels;
b) Research: leading and participating in research projects in Germany and Russia, doing research in innovation, national innovation system, writing articles, books, manuals for students, supervising Master theses, participating in conferences;
c) International collaboration: visiting Finland, Germany, France with guest lectures.
- gained 4 individual research grants (12000 euro)
- published 3 books and 50 research articles
- participated in two large-scale research projects financed by the State Government of Russian Federation
- successfully completed post-doctoral work and got professorship
- created portfolio of courses taught in English language
1996 – 1999 Lecturer, Organizational Theory Department, St. Petersburg State Polytechnic University
1994 – 1995 Junior Lecturer, Department of Applied Mathematics, St. Petersburg State Polytechnic University
2017 – present Member of the Committee for the European Conference of Management, Leadership and Governance (ACPIL, Reading, the UK) and the European Conference on the Impact of Artificial Intelligence, UK
2005 – 2018. Lecturer at the Institute of International Education Programs at Peter the Great St. Petersburg Polytechnic University
Role: Lecturing to international students from 15 countries, leading interdisciplinary project tutorial, organizing field-trips to companies
Major achievements: created and a project-oriented course for Doing Business in St. Petersburg (Project Tutorial) which is highly appreciated by students, organised a number of field trips to companies
2009 – 2012 Research-Fellow (part-time) for the project
“Developing the methodology of managing innovative cluster’s potential”,
St. Petersburg State Polytechnic University
Brief description of duties: This was the State government contract for university-industry collaboration within the Framework program of Russian State 2009-2013. The aim of the project was to develop a concept of integrating scientific-technological, educational and entrepreneurial sectors of the economy. In this project I was involved into the interaction with the managers of St. Petersburg industrial clusters, doing surveys, quantitative analysis of the data, etc
2006 – 2012 Visiting Scholar (part-time), International Management Department, Otto-Friedrich University, Bamberg, Germany
Brief description of duties: Leader of own research projects held in collaboration with Otto-Friedrich University, Bamberg, Germany. The 3 month visits to this university (in 2006-2012) were sponsored by German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). This helped me to reach my research objectives and complete my post-doctoral work
2018 — Visiting Professor at the Brock University, the Goodman Business School, Canada (V. I. P. Programme)
2018 — Visiting Professor at the Higher School of Economics (St.Petersburg), lectures “Russian business environment”, Summer school
2017 – present. Visiting Professor at EDC Paris* (Paris Business
School), France, Lectures “Russia as a target market”, MS Students.
*Research collaboration – institutional aspects of BOL adoption
2017 — present. Visiting Professor at the University of Jyvaskula, Finland. Lectures “Cross-cultural Management”, BS students
2016 – present. Visiting Professor at the University of Hannover*, Germany. Lectures “Cross-cultural Management”, MS students
*Research collaboration – project on sustainability of consumption
2016 — Visiting Professor at Zuyd University of Applied Sciences, Maastricht, the Netherlands. Lectures “Strategic Management”, MS student
2015 — Visiting Professor at St. Petersburg National Research
University of Information Technologies, Mechanics and Optics (ITMO).
Lectures “Cross-cultural issues of doing business”, international summer
2015 – present Ongoing research collaboration with professors
from Moscow Techhological University (MIREA) which resulted in
publishing 2 and 3 star ABS papers and other papers in ranked Russian
and foreign journals
2015 – 2019 Research collaboration with colleagues from Russian Academy of Sciences, project “Researchers in social networks” (2017-2019). Numerous publications in Russian and foreign ranked journals
2014 — Visiting Professor at the Graduate School of Business of
Lomonosov State University in Moscow. Lectures and seminars “Essentials
of International Economics”, international MS students
2011 – 2013 Visiting Professor at IDRAC Business School*, Lyon,
France Lectures and seminars “Doing business in Russia and Scandinavia”.
Duration: 16 classroom hours, diploma students; Lectures and seminars
“Managing risks in international business”. Duration: 8 classroom hours,
*Research collaboration – over 10 papers published together with Prof. Jessica Lichy (IDRAC) on new business models, digital technologies, Big Data
2011 – present. Visiting Professor at Haaga-Helia University of
Applied Sciences, Helsinki, Finland, lectures “Peculiarities of doing
business in Russia”. international MS students
2011 — Visiting Professor at Arcada University of Applied
Sciences, Helsinki, Finland; Lecture “Russia as a target market”,
international MS students.
2009 – 2017 Visiting Professor at Savonia University of Applied
Sciences, Kuopio, Finland. Lectures and seminars “PESTLE analysis of
Russia’s business environment”.
Duration: 16 classroom hours, Lectures and seminars “Dong business in
St. Petersburg”. Duration: 8 classroom hours. Lecture on “Political
situation in Russia”.
All lectures are international bachelor and master students
2006 – 2010 Visiting Professor at Seinajoki University of Applied
Sciences, Seinajoki, Finland. course “Doing business in the North-West
Duration: 16 classroom hours, 8th semester international bachelor and
Membership in Professional Associations
Member of Baltic Management Development Association (since 2012)
Member of British Academy of Management (since 2016)
Member of Academy of International Business, AIB (since 2017)
Honors and Awards
- Four stipends for research fellowship at Otto-Friedrich University, Bamberg, Germany. Awarded by the Russian Ministry of Education and German Fund of Academic Exchange (DAAD), 4 awards, 2006-2012
- Emerald/BMDA Management Research Fund Awarded for the best research proposal (2012)
- Award for the monograph “National Innovation Systems of Foreign Countries: Goals and Strategies of Development” granted by “Human Capital Foundation” (UK-Russia), 2008
- Awarded participation at the 5th Globelics Academy in Tampere, Finland, 2-13th of June, 2008
- Award for best scientific achievements, granted by St. Petersburg State Polytechnic University, 2007
- Award for supervising best Master’s work, granted by St. Petersburg State Polytechnic University, 2008
Major Research Project Participation
2017-2019 – participant of the project “Scientists in Social Networks: do academic social media help professional career?”
supported by the Russian Foundation of Basic Research: Humanitary Research (10000 euro per year)
2009-2012 – participant in the project “Developing the Methodology of Managing Innovative Cluster’s potential”,
St. Petersburg State Polytechnic University. Sponsor: the State Government of Russia. Head of the project:
Member of Russian Academy of Sciences, Prof. Dr. Okrepilov V. (80000 euro per year)
Teaching Experienc (courses in alphabetic order, all courses are taught in Russian and in English)
Economic Statistics (undergraduate)
Financial Aspects of Business Planning (undergraduate)
Fundamentals of Management (undergraduate)
Innovation Management (postgraduate)
International Economics (undergraduate)
International Business (undergraduate and post-graduate)
International Management (undergraduate)
Managerial Economics (postgraduate)
Modern Strategic Analysis (postgraduate)
National Innovation Systems (postgraduate)
Probability Theory (undergraduate)
Quantitative Techniques in Decision Making (postgraduate)
Research Methods (quantitative, postgraduate)
Russian Business Environment (undergraduate and postgraduate)
Risk Management in International Business (postgraduate)
Statistics (undergraduate and postgraduate)
Strategic Management (undergraduate)
System Approach in Management (postgraduate)
- Russian — Native language
- English — Fluent: oral, reading and writing
- French — Intermediate: reading and writing, basic speaking
- German — Pre-intermediate: reading, understanding; beginner: speaking and writing
- Japanese — True Beginner